Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Well That Didn't Last Long

Bummer.

Just talked to a friend who is in Event Planning, who informed me that non-profit event planning is for people who don't like to make money-- not only is the salary small, but the budgets for the events are really tight. He also filled me in on the non-challenging-ness of it all. It's a lot about getting the right people together (and the food and the bar and the place). I think that what I have liked about my own event planning is that I loooove to get all of my friends together, not necessarily that I'm itching to plan events.

Fear not, avid readers of amandascareer, I haven't completely given it up. I'm going to work a (rather large) party at the end of this month, and see how it all goes. If it's a blast and I love it, then I'll turn this blog right around back home, towards event planning.


Event Planning, here I come!

So I was frowning at my computer when something made me smile-- my desktop picture changed again! Yesterday, I found an option in iPhoto that allows me to change my desktop wallpaper with pictures from my own photo library every minute. I love it! My pictures always make me happy-- I love taking pics, buying pics, framing pics, etc... And then...


A HA!

What about Photography? It did come up as one of my top 10 careers from that silly test I took, and I'd love to learn more about it. I wonder if being an Arteest is really my calling. I'm going to look into beginner photography lessons somewhere in the city (if anything, just for the sake of learning about it). I've always shied away from it because the cameras are so darn expensive, and the development is costly as well. Maybe I could take a digital photography class-- I've already got a good digital camera. I even know a professional portrait artist.

Maybe this could even lead to a career in graphic design. Who knows... if any of y'alls know anything about photography classes in the city, I'd love to hear about it. Ideas for now: 92nd St Y, Learning Annex, Columbia / Barnard alum classes...


Come on, that's an awesome pic I took of Beaker. I caught him by surprise!

6 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, my sis did some interviews to be a photog's assistant last summer before she took off for San Fran. She's now contemplating coming back east, living at home, taking more classes and looking for assistant jobs.

Definitely a cool career, but tough to make money, at least at first. I'd say you'd have to take some classes and build up a portfolio before you could start applying places, because that's what they'll want to see.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. Sounds like what you're looking for is the ideal career-- one that pays well, is interesting/creative and benefits the world. I think you'll have a hard time finding one that has all three and no downsides when you're just starting out. So my advice is to list your career criteria in order of importance and choose something that has most of what you're looking for. You can fill the missing parts in with volunteer work or hobbies.

But most importantly find something that you're passionate about. In due time, with passion will come success and money.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger The Liz said...

Photography is really hard to make money at. Most media-related photography is freelance (i.e. no constant salary, no benefits). And the only way to make real money at it is to go into advertising or something, and goodness why would anybody want to do that?

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the above comments about the difficulty in finding the perfect job that fits all of your categories. I still support the idea of looking into counseling...family, individual or couples. You could get your masters in counseling psychology, family therapy, clinical social work, or school psychology (if you wanted to work with kids).
I also remember you once saying that one of the things you liked about nightline (?) was the administrative aspect. How about looking into getting into the administration/business end of nonprofits or do-good business. Or getting an MBA that specializes in non-profit/people oriented/social service organizations?

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...anonymous is me :)

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know a prof portrait artist? It just so happens that I NEED a prof portrait artist - to work for free. Would this person be willing to do such a thing? CAn you send me his or contact info? I might be able to scrounge up some kind of funding if necessary. Sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home