Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Really testing the cover letter lady now

I know I'm talking a lot about this cover letter book, but it's kinda revolutionizing the way I'm looking at job postings. I wrote my first "power technique" CL last night, for a position that I think is really cool. The cover letter went something like this:

Dear Hiring Manager:

I have tons of experience and am awesome! My skills, x, y, and z, are unparallelled. Highlights of my experience include:

- Developing awesome things for my company
- Managing lots of people and things, to great success
- Baking a delicious chocolate pie
- My university liked me, too
- Knitting without a pattern

Here's my resume. Once again, I'm awesome and will fix everything in your company.

Love,
Amanda


I have to say that I'm a little uncomfortable with this method. It's definitely arrogant, but perhaps that's the way to go with these things. One big thing I've learned: it's not about what the company can do for me, but what I can do for the company, based on my proven results. That's what the book says, and I fear it might be right.

I always used to think it was really dumb when you'd go on an interview for a job that didn't work out and people would say, "well at least you got interview experience!". To me, that's like saying, "you gained weight? well, think of all the new clothes you'll get to buy!". Not cool. But now I may be seeing the wisdom. Through all of this cover letter writing, I feel like I really am learning something, namely, how to get better interviews for better jobs. It's a slow learning curve, but I think this is just how it goes when you're looking for a new job / career. Unless you're really lucky and have known you want to be a Doctor since you were a kid.

In other news, the party that I waitressed to check out event planning was... interesting. I think if I pursue event planning, it will have to be as a part of a larger role. I need to be doing something in addition to organizing caterers and centerpieces.

Also, I heard back from the yoga studio, they want me back in to meet with their investor... and I haven't decided yet if I'll go in for it. A cliffhanger for my readers!

Lastly, I don't think there are enough pictures of cats in ridiculous poses on the web:



Maybe this "tequila cat" (photographer's caption, not mine) could be my career mascot. What do you think? I could name her... Drunkamelion. Or Limelitter. Cat-tastic? Sir Limely Kitty III? I'll stop now.

1 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger The Liz said...

http://www.stuffonmycat.com/

Clearly, God loves you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home