People are different outside of New York
I'm back from vacation, with fresh insights on my career trajectory. Spending time on the beach, making difficult decisions like which margarita flavor to try and whether I should put on SPF 15 or 30, usually challenges me to think about where I am professionally. Just to give you a heads-up, I look like this after spending hours in tropical heat:
After enjoying the non-NYC regularities of not lugging all your crap around and paying reasonable prices, I had to evaluate: why is it that I'm so tied to staying in New York?

I was sad to realize that I had little to say to non-New Yorkers (read: Southerners) that I met this weekend besides, "oh, it's not like that in New York." I'm not particularly well-travelled. I'd like to be more well-rounded. Maybe I should be looking for a job where I may have opportunities to spend a year elsewhere (as it's pretty clear that I'm not moving out of NYC anytime soon).
Which brings me to another point, and the reason I decided not to call the yoga studio back after all: I think that I might enjoy working in a big company as opposed to a small one. While I'm attracted to small business so that I can have control over many different aspects of a company, a larger company may be able to give me all the things that I'm looking for-- lots of people to meet / hang out with, exposure to different kinds of careers / positions, great health benefits, and fun perks like a company party or company-sponsored travel. You don't get that with a fledgling company, I think. Maybe my plan should be that for now, I'll look for a bigger company, and then when I get the cred to be an executive (or close to it), I can work in a smaller business (or even my own!).

One fine day, I will open the used CD shop I've always dreamed of!
More than wooooords.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home